How to Win on Pokie Machines
Pokie machines are arguably the most popular casino games of all time, which is likely due to their simplicity and their extensive variety when it comes to the games that are offered. Pokies have come a long way from when they had initially been created, as the jackpots and payouts have grown, the special features have become more lucrative, and free spins have become the standard. However, one of the aspects surrounding the gaming category that has remained a mystery is the tips and tricks that can be used to win.
Unlike many casino games that can feature a concrete strategy, pokies are based on luck, which is something that has contributed to the popularity of the genre. In this segment, we’ll be taking a closer look at what these games have to offer and what can be done to improve your chances of winning. We’ll also be taking a look at some of the more technical aspects of these games and some of the myths that surround them.
Introduction to Pokies
So, you’ve decided that you’d like to win on pokie machines; however, it’s not as simple as deciding to try harder. This is because pokies are games of chance, which means that the outcome of the reels and the symbols can’t be manipulated with a strategy. Instead, once the reels are set in motion, the outcome is completely random. While pokies have become much more interactive over the last decade, the principle remains the same, which is what makes it the easiest casino game to play.
What many players don’t seem to realize is that there are many sub-categories of pokies. These include the following:
- Video Slots – Much similar to traditional pokies regarding the gameplay; however, most modern slots are video slots and these feature vibrant themes, animations, and unique symbols.
- Single-Line Slots – These are standard pokies that feature one payline.
- Straight Slots – Pokies that feature prizes that are awarded according to a specific paytable.
- Jackpot Slots – A pokie that features a fixed grand prize when a specific combination of symbols is hit.
- Multi-Spin Slots–These are pokies that allow you to lock certain reels in place while continuing to spin the reels.
- Multi-Denomination Slots– These are pokies that allow you to change the size of your bet.
- Reel Slots – The classic slot which consists of physical reels, are no longer produced and can only be found in museums.
- Multi-Line Slots – These pokies feature multiple paylines.
- Progressive Slots – These are pokies that add a portion of each wager to a prize pool which will contribute to the grand prize that can be won. The progressive jackpot will randomly be triggered and there are usually four jackpot sizes that can be claimed.
- Bonus Round Slots–These are pokies that feature a bonus round that allows you to take advantage of free spins that usually come with a multiplier.
- Buy-a-Pay Slots – Here you will find many pay tables and each one offers more cash than the last.
The perfect pokie is usually a combination of all of the above, which will provide you with a complete gaming experience that offers a range of special features for you to enjoy. Furthermore, most pokies, especially those that are featured at the best online casinos will be some form of a combination of the sub-categories of above.
Why are Pokie machines Popular?
While basic pokies are becoming less popular due to their simplicity, video pokies have risen to prominence as more players have migrated to online casinos. Online casinos tend to feature a broad selection of pokie machines, and these can be found in nearly every theme imaginable. This means that you’re more than likely going to find something that you enjoy.
The popularity of pokies is also due to their simplicity, regardless of how many special features that it has to offer, these games are incredibly easy for new players to understand.
Another reason why pokies have become very popular is that they are available everywhere and due to this, these games can be found at all online casinos. These games are readily available and there are always new types of pokies that are being produced. The constant addition of new games is what keeps things interesting.
Becoming the Best Pokie Player
If you’re keen to know how to win pokie games, there are a few things that you can do to become better at playing. These are merely things that you’ll need to keep in mind as there’s no definite pokies strategy that can be used to improve your odds of winning. One of the most important things that you’ll need to do is to abandon the mindset that relies on the gambler’s fallacy, this means that you are convinced that the pokie will provide you with a win based on your previous results with the game. However, this could get you into a lot of trouble, as the odds of winning are reset with each spin.
Another good mindset to have is to expect consistent losses, by expecting losses you’re less likely to keep adding more cash into your casino account. This type of gameplay will allow you to be more disciplined when it comes to your bankroll. Lastly, remember why you’re playing, as playing to win will ruin your gaming experience. Having fun should be your main priority as there are plenty of pokies that can be enjoyed.
Tips for Playing Pokie Machines
If you want to know how to win pokies NZ, there are a few tips that can be used to better your gaming experience. These pokie tips include the following:
- Focus on Bonus Games – These games will provide you with the best value for money as you will be able to capitalize on bonus rounds with these pokie machines. Here you’ll enjoy free spins that are generally accompanied by multipliers that make things significantly easier as you’re able to boost your winnings for free.
- Progressive Pokies can be Life-Changing – These are special pokies that have the highest potential payouts. These payouts easily exceed NZ$500,000 with many of them offering a lot more. Keep in mind that you’re not guaranteed to land a massive win; however, the possibility of landing a major win is what makes this incredibly exciting.
- Play Different Bets – Changing the size of your bet every few spins is a great way to keep things interesting and it allows you to minimize losses while you’ll increase your chances of triggering a bonus round with a maximum bet.
- Prioritize Free Spins – Focusing on free spins is one of the most overlooked pokie tricks around. While claiming free spins will require you to win on online pokies, there’s no doubt that the procurement of free spins will boost your winnings, unlike any other special feature, as these will usually be provided with a multiplier. The multiplier is a great feature as it allows you to boost the size of your win by a particular amount, these are generally between 2x and 10x, but some games allow you to win up to 20x your bet.
Casinos will also provide free spins as a part of a welcome bonus, so you should try and capitalize on this too.
- Understand the Features – Most online pokies are interactive and this will often have you select particular options or make a decision during a bonus round. Don’t get caught off guard, read through the information section of a game before you make your first bet as some game shave intricate features.
Return to Player and Win Percentages
RTP rates and win percentages are important factors to consider before you play a pokie as these will affect your gameplay. If you’re unfamiliar with the term, the RTP refers to the percentage of cash wagered on a pokie that will be paid back over time. This can usually be found on the website of the software provider or within the pokie that you’ve chosen. The win percentage or the hit frequency refers to the rate of wins. So, if a pokie has a hit frequency of 7%, this means that the pokie will produce a winning result 7% of the time.
These are rates that are fundamental to understanding pokies and the better these rates, the more success you’ll potentially see. However, the volatility of a pokie is another important factor to consider as this will determine how frequent your wins will be. A high volatility pokie will yield larger wins over a prolonged timeframe; however, there will be more “dry” spins. A low volatility pokie will be the opposite, with frequent wins; however, these wins are smaller.
When it comes to winning pokies, there’s not much that can be done when it comes to deploying a traditional strategy; however, there are a few tips and tricks to follow that can provide you with a better gaming experience, especially if you’re new. Pokie machines are very easy to play and this is what has made them the most popular casino game category, be it at a land-based or online casino. Ultimately, it’s your style of play and the amount that you’re willing to wager.
Yes, if you bet real money you can win real money.
The most popular pokies in NZ are Goblin’s Cave, Sunrise Reels, and Starburst.
No, pokie machines at reputable online casinos aren’t rigged as they are regularly audited by third-party agencies.